Sunday, June 18, 2017

Boston Celtics: Why Danny Did the Right Thing Trading Away Fultz

My apologies to my readers, a bit of a mini-vacation took me away from here for a few days.  In that time, Danny Ainge announced to the world that-as I predicted in this very blog-the Celtics didn't want Markelle Fultz, trading away their first overall pick to Philadelphia in a top 3 pick swap that at very least honestly did not surprise me, as I believe prospect Josh Jackson is the player the Celtics have had their eye on the entire time, and should be able to get at third as well as they were at first.  This trade was entirely for Philly, who would otherwise have likely seen LA take Fultz second, and been stuck with a decision on their hands between "the rest".  Instead, they've ensured they're going to get the specific guy they want and need on that roster.  Really, it's a great move for both teams, but let me look at it from a Celtic perspective first, as I'm a New England guy, it's more natural for me to do so:

The 60's Celtics, the 80's Lakers and Celtics, the 90's Bulls, the 90's-00's Spurs, the 10's Warriors (is "10's" correct? anyway...) these teams all have exactly two things in common to my knowledge: they were/are generational type dynasty teams, and they were all were built primarily through the draft.  Sure, there were players added along the way here and there (Dennis Johnson, Bill Walton, for locals here.  In the case of the Bulls; Dennis Rodman, you get the idea.)  However, the core of each team was acquired through the draft.

This is the way great teams are built.  They're built by drafting a superstar, then building around that superstar and his cheap contract (rookie scales being what they are) which allows you greater flexibility.  Then, as the star ages, rules allow you to retain them-or at least be favored in doing so financially-which allows you to build said dynasty.  You don't acquire your best player by mortgaging your future to add on high paid players in the prime or middle of their career, then trying to draft and build and acquire talent around that.  Yes, we've seen "Big 3's" challenge those rules in the past, but by and large the better method of building long term dynastic type teams is to do so through the draft process.

I just wanted to write up something quick tonight, after getting back home.  I'll put something together this week that breaks things down a bit more.  And start putting together some more draft profiles and potential trade and/or draft scenarios for the top teams in the draft.  I'll put together another mock draft tomorrow, that'll be my second overall and I'm only planning to put out three, so tune in for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment